Thursday, April 11, 2013

Week 1 - Preparation

I meant to write about my first day but then I realized I was just feeling too lazy that day (and the last 5 days) to write anything so I waited.  Lucky for you because now I have more to talk about...right?!

My Power90 package came with 2 different discs, the P90 disc and a Fat Burning System disc.  After reading over everything I decided to ease myself into the P90 with the FBS.  FBS is a workout that you do for 6 days.  It comes with a really gross nutrition plan (you know, eat cottage cheese on a flax bagel...standard nutrition guide you see with all the "loose weight quick" programs) and suggests that you'll loose 10 pounds in 1 week if you follow the nutrition plan and use the disc.

FBS intrigued me because the disc is only 35 mins long which is significantly more do-able than 45 or 60 mins required with P90 or P90X.  I needed to ease myself into this new workout plan I had just bought.  Because of the shorter time, I decided to do the FBS during my "prep week" (that's the week before you actually start your workout and preparation is a key tool to success according to my very smart therapist), but I did not follow the nutrition plan.  Eww gross!  For my nutrition, I just was more mindful of what I ate and drank a lot of water - so much water that after three days I realized I hadn't had any caffeine and when the headache came I had to drink a cup of herbal tea to ease it.  I'm still not drinking any soda (with the exception of a Coke Zero last night during study group because I had no access to clean water) but I do try to have a cup of herbal tea at least once a day.  This seems to be helping with caffeine withdraws.  To make sure I'm not screwing up my exercise by eating crap, I use the tracking system at SparkPeople.  I won't go into much detail about that website (that's a whole post on its own) but I love it, and it's free.  What more could you ask for?

Okay, so I'm sure you want to know how I feel about Power 90.  Here goes.

Pros:

  1. It's only 35 minutes.
  2. It is as intense as you make it.
  3. There is a lot of options to modify the exercises to your ability level.  Tony says that he doesn't care how you do the exercises, as long as you're moving.  The goal is to keep burning calories.
  4. The people who are doing the exercises in the video are regular, every day people.  They aren't those perfect hard bodies who do aerobics 5 times a day every day.  They make mistakes.  They loose their balance.  They modify the exercises.  Some are older.  Some are heavier.  There is a range of intensity level and when they get tired, they slow down or drop the medicine ball to make it an easier workout.
  5. Tony is funny.
  6. The exercises are easy to do.
  7. There is a timer on the screen that tells you how much time is in each set of exercises and how much time is left on the entire workout.
  8. Tony tells you to rest often.
  9. There is no trainer screaming at you to "KEEP GOING YOU CAN DO IT DON'T GIVE UP NOW!" 
  10. It's fun

Cons:
  1. It's 35 minutes.  If you are like me and need to modify, go slower, and take lots of water breaks, this 35 minutes turns into 60 minutes until you get used to it (took me 3 days).  
  2. It is repetitive.  Anytime you do the same workout disc everyday you're going to get bored.  This is why I'm going to only use it for the 6 day and start on Power 90 this Sunday (Saturdays are my rest/weigh/measure days).  I may insert the FBS ever 30 days or so just to change up my routine.
  3. If you're not active normally or if you don't have good balance, you're going to fall over.  I did.  A couple of times.  Flat on my ass.  It's okay though, just get up and keep moving.
  4. It can feel awkward doing any exercise the first time and if you're self-conscious you may not want to work out unless you're alone.  I had this problem at first but I decided that my health was more important than my pride so now I workout in a sports bra and some type of workout pant and don't care if the kids or my roommate walk in the living room...as long as they don't interrupt my concentration.

As you can see, my Pros outweigh my Cons.  I think the FBS is a wonderful workout, but I won't be doing it more than 6 days at a time.  I also won't follow the nutrition guide that came with it because it's gross!  I didn't workout Tuesday because I was extremely tired, but I got back into the next day so I'm still going strong.  This just means that I'll only have worked out 5 days this week instead of 6.  But hey, compared to my original workout plan of zero days, I'll take a 5 day workout week and celebrate!!

Stay tuned for Saturday's post with my weight and measurements.  Sunday I'll actually start Power 90!

0 comments:

Post a Comment